Hey everybody! It’s @TheMagnumDA with another edition of the Raw report! I think I’m going to be much more forgiving than last week’s edition. We are LIVE (well, taped) from the O2 in London, England. We are continuing the build towards “Money in the Bank”, which is back in Chicago this year!
Let’s not waste another moment. ON WITH THE SHOW!
Roman Reigns comes out to cut a promo on Jinder Mahal. Kurt Angle comes out to inform us that there’s a Triple Threat Main Event for a spot at the “Money in the Bank” Ladder Match. The match will feature Jinder Mahal vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Elias. Roman, royally pissed, heads backstage to destroy Mahal. After hitting him with the Superman Punch, officials break up the fight.
1. Seth Rollins defeated Kevin Owens to retain the Intercontinental title. Pretty damn good TV match. (***1/2)
Axel and Dallas introduce themselves to Kurt Angle as the “A-Team.” Angle says that name is already taken by a very famous TV show and movie series. Dejected, Axel and Dallas decide to call themselves the “B-Team.”
2. Axel & Dallas beat Breezango. (*1/2) They celebrated like they won the tag titles. It was pretty funny.
3. Bobby Roode defeated Baron Corbin and No Way Jose in a Money in the Bank qualifying match. (*3/4)
4. Sasha Banks, Ember Moon and Natalya defeated the Riott Squad. (**)
5. Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt defeated The Revival (*3/4)
Sami Zayn came out for a promo. He talked about inviting Bobby Lashley’s sisters to Raw next week so that he could “expose him”. Can we please just let this die already? I have a really, really bad feeling that this is going somewhere really stupid.
6. Alexa Bliss defeated Bayley and Mickie James in a MITB qualifying match. (*1/2)
Jinder Mahal is recovering backstage from the earlier beat down, when Roman Reigns comes out of nowhere AGAIN to destroy Mahal. Eventually, he hits the Spear on Mahal through a wall! This leaves Sunil Singh crying out, “Help! Somebody help!”
7. Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre defeated Finn Balor and Braun Strowman. (**1/4) Ziggler crotched Balor from the top rope to get the win. After the match, Strowman flattened McIntyre, sending him through the Greatest Royal Rumble trophy.
8. Kevin Owens defeated Bobby Lashley and Elias to advance in a MITB qualifying match. Kevin replaced Jinder Mahal, who couldn’t compete due to his injuries from Roman Reigns. (**1/2)
Rollins Continues to Roll: Another great match this week from the hottest performer in the company right now. Why he’s not in the MITB conversation is beyond me. I know that he’s on a quest to bring prestige to the IC Title, but he’s getting a bigger reaction than any hero in the company. Might as well go all the way with him. Sure, it was a Triple threat, but Seth has beaten Lesnar before…why can’t he do it again?
Somewhere to ‘B’: I don’t think Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel are the most talented guys, but I love a good ol’ fashioned ‘Underdog Story’ as much as anyone else. This could be the start of something big for these guys. Here’s hoping they can deliver on this push!
Roman vs. Jinder = No Buys: Maybe I missed an important detail here, but I’m not sure why Jinder is getting the brunt of Roman’s onslaught. Is it because Jinder got a chance at MITB, and Roman lost his chance? I’m not sure why one has to do with the other, but this feud is not going to help either man. Furthermore, they are basically rehashing what Braun did to Roman last year around this time.
Triple Threats as MITB Qualifiers: I don’t know why Triple Threats are the soup du jour, but with a few exceptions, most of these MITB qualifying matches have been Triple Threats. Also, are we keeping track of how many chances these guys are getting at MITB? Kevin Owens has had three chances in the last two weeks! I know that’s building towards a storyline with Kurt/Steph, but I have a feeling that some other guys are going to get multiple chances before the PPV.
Sami Zayn – Resident Facebook Creeper: I mean, really. Who sends a message to someone they don’t know on Facebook? Don’t get me wrong, he’s the villain here, so he will resort to nefarious tactics. Still, I hate that he’s being dragged into something so stupid. This guy deserves better…he could be a very cerebral villain. Instead, he’s stalking women he doesn’t know on Facebook.
That’s it for the Raw report! See you tomorrow for another edition of the Smackdown Live TV report! @TheMagnumDA, signing off.