WWE starts COVID-19 testing, issues statement on fans attending TV tapings

 
 

WWE has commenced the COVID-19 testing, 24 hours after one of its developmental talent who was inside the WWE Performance Center for NXT tapings last week tested positive for the coronavirus.

This is the first time that WWE has tested its Superstars and crew with the proper swab testing kit since the pandemic started as their testing before included only temperature checks, contact tracing forms, and a basic questionnaire. Critics blasted the company for the lack of proper testing over the past couple of months especially after asymptomatic cases were being diagnosed.

WWE Superstar Mojo Rawley uploaded a video on Twitter earlier today getting swabbed through his nostril and everyone involved in the tapings will have to undergo the quick, yet uncomfortable procedure.

It will certainly be a few tense hours as all the Superstars and crew wait to learn if they have coronavirus or not. A spread of the virus within WWE at the Performance Center will not be a good look for the company especially since they always said they have enough precautions in place to stop that from happening.

Meanwhile, following the attendance of some fans yesterday during Raw, WWE issued a statement to local channel News 13 saying, “Fans have not been in attendance at WWE events since March 13. Yesterday, a select number of friends and family were permitted to attend WWE’s TV production. These individuals were required to participate in medical screenings prior to entering the closed set at our training facility, and were kept apart from in-ring performers and production personnel. Attendance was below 20% capacity and social distancing guidelines were adhered to with at least six feet between parties, thus face masks were not required.”

News 13 reporter Jon Alba spoke to some of those fans in attendance and contrary to reports spread by other members of the wrestling media, the fans confirmed that they were never told that they could not wear a mask if they wanted to and no one from WWE made pressure not to wear one. Everyone in attendance not under a WWE contract were made to sign waivers that said WWE would not be liable if they contract the virus while there and said they felt safe at the tapings and would attend again even after news came out that someone tested positive.

“Those I spoke to didn’t find out about the positive COVID-19 test by a #WWE developmental talent until after the tapings. While WWE personnel were tested today, the fans were not informed they had to get tested. Those I spoke to were invited back for more tapings this week,” Alba wrote.