Home Blog Page 1487

Live WWE event results from 06/08 in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

W-O reader Greg Cannon attended the live non-televised WWE event in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, at the Santa Ana Star Center yesterday night and sent in the following results:

Dolph Ziggler defeated Fandango; Sin Cara defeated Titus O’Neil; Paige defeated Natalya and Alicia Fox to retain the Divas title; Goldust and Cody Rhodes defeated Ryback and Curtis Axel; Bo Dallas defeated Zack Ryder; Cesaro defeated Damien Sandow, Kofi Kingston, and Jack Swagger in a fatal four way; Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns defeated Seth Rollins and Randy Orton via disqualification.

The arena was around three quarters full with a lot of empty seats all around. All the faces on the card spent some time with the fans after their respective matches and Paige and Natalya even got the Ultimate Warrior’s two daughters in the ring after the Divas title match to celebrate. The Shield got the biggest pop of the night.

John Cena suffers eye injury at non-televised live event

Former WWE champion John Cena was injured at a non-televised live event in Madison, Wisconsin, on Saturday night.

Cena was wrestling Bray Wyatt when very early in the match Cena was hit in the eye and the injury was considered serious enough for the referee to make the “X” hand sign so medics could check him out. The match was stopped for a bit but then he proceeded to continue the match as planned.

Cena’s eye continued to swell during the match and according to eye witness reports it was completely shut by the time the match was over.

Posting on Twitter, Cena sent an “overdue ‘I love you’” to Nikki Bella who he called a special woman who “had a rough few days dealing with a blind, grumpy me.”

WWE has yet to acknowledge the injury but it should be pretty visible on RAW tonight if Cena appears unless his super-healing powers strike again.

WWE casting for Sting body double and orchestra for video shoot

The big news today is that WWE is seeking to cast Sting lookalikes for an upcoming video shoot along with an orchestra which would be sporting Sting’s face paint.

The casting came through Casting Networks based in New York, listing a body double for the former WCW and TNA champion who is aged between 38 and 50 and who is also 6’2” and 250lbs of “pure muscle.” The description includes that it’s preferred that the applicant must have wrestling experience and be very fit with slightly long hair.

The orchestra of musicians requested are male and female aged between 18 to 70 who must bring their own instruments and will be required to wear Sting’s face paint.

Filming is set to be held on June 16.

This looks like to be a promo to either announce the arrival of Sting to WWE or his inclusion in the upcoming WWE 2K15 video game.

Jim Ross back home from short hospital stay

Jim Ross is back at home after spending a couple of days in hospital.

“Home sweet home…your well wishes greatly appreciated,” Ross tweeted last night.

TMZ.COM reports that tests conducted on Ross determined that the symptoms were being caused by meds he had been taking for an unrelated medical issue. Ross was also informed that results from the tests showed he had suffered a minor undiagnosed stroke in the past.

Docs changed his medication and are confident that they have fixed the problem.

Tommy Dreamer “rips” on Dixie Carter at HOH show for a TNA angle

There was an angle being shot at Tommy Dreamer’s House of Hardcore event on Friday night in Poughkeepsie, New York, with Bully Ray being “pulled” from the card by TNA President Dixie Carter.

Dreamer was going off how someone was going to be missing the main event because Dixie Carter called him at 11:30PM on Thursday to tell him that she was pulling Bully Ray from the show as he was booked on another show for Spike.

The former ECW champ then told fans to harass Carter on Twitter and then said that if you attend any of the TNA shows take your House of Hardcore ticket stub with you and Bully Ray will take a photo with you and sign an autograph.

Dreamer then promised he will get Carter back for what she did and Bully Ray then wrote on Twitter, “LONG STORY! Bottom line- @TNADixie completely screwed and hurt ALL @HouseofHardcore fans. I SWEAR TO MAKE IT UP TO ALL OF YOU. ALL @HouseofHardcore fans. Hold onto ticket stubs. Will personally meet all at PA or NYC TNA TV shows. Let @TNADixie know how ya feel.”

JR still in hospital but hopes to leave today

Jim Ross is still in hospital although he said that he hopes to go back home today in a post on Twitter.

“Bumper to bumper medicals. 2 MRI ‘s, blood drawn 4X, echocardiogram, neck artery scan….all today. Awakened every 2 hours since last nite,” Ross wrote yesterday.

While the WWE Hall of Famer did not disclose what he’s being treated for, the echocardiogram and the neck artery scan – called Carotid Ultrasound in the medical field – suggests that Ross is there after a possible heart attack scare.

“Hope to go home today from hospital. Tests eliminating potential culprits. All well wishes appreciated. Thx,” he added in a later post today.

Fox Business covers Jarrett’s Global Force Wrestling

Jeff Jarrett’s Global Force Wrestling promotion got some nice publicity as FoxBusiness.com has covered Jarrett’s plans to launch the start-up company.

Asked if it’s the right time to jump in the game when there might be a sign that “interesting in wrestling is plummeting,” the former WWE, WCW, and TNA wrestler said he’s not nervous at all.

“Investors may be disappointed but the increase in rights and TV fees speaks volumes as to how much interest is in the wrestling world,” Jarrett told Fox Business.

Jarrett said that the company will face an uphill battle but eventually believes that the success of Global Force Wrestling will be from the talent involved.

Jarrett, who still remains a minority owner in TNA despite him quitting the company last year, said that there’s a lot of interest about GFW from veterans, beginners, “and everything in between.”

WWE Superstars in PSAs to promote being better fathers

The Advertising Council is joining forces with WWE on a public service campaign promoting the importance of men being better fathers.

The campaign’s introduction is timed to coincide with the celebration of Father’s Day on June 15. It will be announced by the Ad Council today, with new public service spots broadcast on RAW and Smackdown.

WWE Superstars Alberto Del Rio, Titus O’Neil, and Roman Reigns are featured in this campaign which will appear in print, television, radio, digital and outdoors both in English and Spanish.

The ads feature Del Rio reading at bedtime to his son, Reigns singing “I’m a Little Teapot” with his daughter, and O’Neil playing cards with his two sons.

Michelle Wilson, WWE’s Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer said that these three wrestlers were chosen because “they represent a good cross-section of American families today.” Del Rio, who is Mexican-American, is married; Reigns, who is Samoan-American, is unmarried; and O’Neil, who is African-American, is divorced.

The New York Times has a full feature about this story which you can read at http://nyti.ms/1rRqEvw.

Tamina Snuka undergoes knee surgery

Tamina Snuka underwent knee surgery on June 4 and posted a photo of her leg all wrapped up from a hospital bed on her Twitter.

“Day after surgery and already getting the itch to #Superkick this knee back into shape with #FamilyPower,” the daughter of WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka wrote.

Snuka last wrestled Paige for the Divas title at the Extreme Rules pay-per-view in the beginning of May and has not appeared on television since then.

Tamina will make her acting debut in the upcoming Hercules movie which has her cousin, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, in the lead title role.

Jim Ross hospitalized after trip from Las Vegas

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross was admitted to a hospital after he came back from Las Vegas last night.

“Got home from Vegas not feeling well. Now spending the night in the hospital for observation. Shouldn’t have said anything to my wife,” Ross tweeted from hospital.

He did not elaborate what the problem was and he has not posted another tweet since then. JR was in Vegas for the annual Cauliflower Alley Cub.

John Cena grants wish to girl after social media helps spread message

You can boo him all you want and you can chant “Cena sucks” as well but there’s no denying that WWE Superstar John Cena has one of the biggest hearts of all.

Brittany Depew, a 20 year old northern Kentucky girl, posed for a photo yesterday as she lays in a hospital bed with a sign that reads, “My leukemia is past the stage of being cured. I (heart) U John Cena. #NeverGiveUp.”

Thousands of people retweeted the image which eventually went viral and John Cena noticed. The former WWE champion recorded a personal video message to Brittany, congratulating her on graduating high school and then singing her happy birthday even though he said he knows it’s a bit early.

WCPO Cincinnati, the news channel that covered the story, also published a photo of Brittany as she is covered with John Cena merchandise, something that Cena sent overnight.

“Often, sadly enough, social media is a haven for bullying and negativity. Today, a group of strangers used it for something wonderful,” Cena wrote on his Twitter.

You can see the touching video and story below.

Free W-O app launched on App Store for iOS devices

Wrestling-Online.com is back in the FREE section of the App Store as today we announce the launch of Wrestling-Online.com News (Free) app for your iOS devices.

The free app has all the full features and same new design of the paid app however it is ad supported by Google’s AdMob.

The iOS app was recently re-designed from scratch with a new layout and menu system.

You can download the free app from here and you can upgrade to the paid app from here.

TNA celebrates 10 years of Impact on television

Yesterday it was the 10 year anniversary since the creation of the  TNA Impact television show which premiered on Fox Sports Net on June 4, 2004.

“Today marks 10 YEARS since Impact premiered 6/4/04 on Fox Sports Net. We’ve come so far & I’m excited where we are going,” wrote TNA President Dixie Carter. “Thanks to every person who ever supported TNA Impact Wrestling in any way. We’re grateful to the greatest fans. Stay tuned, big things ahead.”

Impact didn’t last long on Fox Sports Net with the last episode airing on the channel on May 27, 2005. Between June and October, TNA had no television home and resorted to air Impact online before the company signed a deal with Spike.

Impact started airing on Spike on October 1, 2005, with a one hour show before expanding to two hours two years later. A year later in 2008 TNA started broadcasting its flagship show in high definition.

In 2010, TNA started the year by moving Impact from Thursday to Monday to go head-to-head with Monday Night RAW. Hulk Hogan made his TNA debut on Monday, January 4, 2010, giving TNA its highest rating ever with over 3 million people watching the first hour and over two million people sticking for the second hour.

Impact moved permanently to Monday nights on March 8 of that year but the move lasted only two months before returning to its usual Thursdays time slot due to stiff competition from RAW.

In May 2011, the show was rebranded to Impact Wrestling and its colors were shifted to blue, white, and grey, from red and black.

WWE offers new financial planning service for former talent

The Pro Wrestling Insider website today is running a story about WWE sending letters to former contracted Superstars, Divas, and referees offering them financial planning assistance free of charge to help them for life after professional wrestling.

What we can confirm is that the company has entered into an agreement with Money Management International – the largest nonprofit, full-service credit counseling agency in the United States – to provide these services to former talent.

MMI will help with budget counseling, debt control, saving money, and other financial-related goals. The agreement will also cover the immediate family members.

In addition, WWE will be offering financial scholarships in the amount of $5,000 per calendar year which will go towards getting a college degree or completing a certificate program.

These new services to former talent join the health and wellness program which offers free rehab for drug and alcohol abuse to anyone who is seeking help.

RAW rating for 06/02/2014

Monday Night RAW this week drew 4,147,000 viewers overall, up from last week’s horrible 3,602,000 figure.

Hour one drew 4,033,000, followed by 4,482,000 in the second, but then lost all the viewers gained – and some more – by dropping to 3,925,000 in the third and final hour. (Ratings credit: PWInsider.com)

WrestleMania XXX registers 690,000 buys so far

In their latest Key Performance Indicators presentation which was released by WWE, it was revealed that as of today, WrestleMania XXX had a total of 690,000 buys, a number which is most likely worldwide not just in the United States.

While it’s obviously below the one million buys that the show usually does, you have to consider that WWE had an additional 667,000 subscribers to the WWE Network, potentially giving WrestleMania XXX over 1,350,000 “buys.”

It will be interesting to see how many U.S. customers are part of that 690,000 number and what previous WrestleManias did overseas. The question is if less International viewers bought WrestleMania this year on pay-per-view compared to previous years, how many of the WWE Network subscribers are getting the service through a VPN and are residing overseas?

While 667,000 subscribers for the first few months isn’t a bad number, WWE potentially has around 15%, if not more, of that number as International subscribers which will effect their number when the WWE Network eventually rolls out overseas.

Full trailer for Dwayne Johnson’s Hercules movie released

The full trailer for Dwayne Johnson’s next movie, Hercules, was released online today in a tweet by the former WWE champion himself.

“On July 25th, the world’s first superhero is born. Let it be to death or victory.. #WorldPremiere #HERCULESMovie,” The Rock wrote.

The $110 million budget movie will be distributed by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures and also has Ian McShane, Rufus Sewell, Joseph Fiennes, Petter Mullan, and John Hurt in the big roles. It is directed by Brett Ratner.

The film is expected to make good business in the box office and it could be Dwayne Johnson’s biggest box office hit where he is alone in a leading role.

You can check out the trailer below.

TNA to tape Destination X in New York City on June 26

TNA will be taping its Destination X show in New York as part of the three-day back-to-back television tapings at the Grand Ballroom inside the Manhattan Center.

Destination X was previously a pay-per-view but was then moved to a special TV taping after TNA scrapped all but four pay-per-views for their yearly calendar.

The show’s taping will take place on June 26 and tickets are available to purchase now at Ticketmaster.com.

Seth Rollins cracks The Shield and joins Evolution

The Shield as we know it, is over. Last night on RAW, the trio became two as Seth Rollins turned on Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns and joined Triple H and Randy Orton in Evolution.

Rollins was revealed as Triple H’s “plan B” following the victory that the group enjoyed over Evolution at Payback, wiping out Batista, Orton, and Triple H in a six-man elimination tag match.

The group made its debut at the 2012 Survivor Series, interfering in the main event event match between CM Punk, John Cena, and Ryback. After several run-ins to save Punk and Heyman, they were eventually revealed to be working for Heyman.

Daniel Bryan to face Kane at MITB or else title up for grabs in ladder match

Daniel Bryan received another ultimatum yesterday on RAW thanks to Stephanie McMahon as the ultimatum from Sunday was not enough.

McMahon informed the crowd and viewers that Daniel Bryan has to defend his WWE World Heavyweight title against Kane at Money In The Bank in a stretcher match and if he is not able to compete, the title will be up for grabs in a MITB ladder match also on the same pay-per-view.

Money In The Bank is on June 29, which gives Bryan four weeks to get ready. Bryan was already being advertised for a non-televised event at Madison Square Garden in mid July and the fact that the title wasn’t stripped away from him yet suggests that they are hoping that he will be ready to go come Money In The Bank.

In the eventuality that he won’t, the company is covered by having the other match set up as a backup plan. If he does recover in time, the MITB ladder match will be for the briefcase.