Wrestling games aren’t historically as popular as soccer and gridiron titles like FIFA or Maddon, but there is a growing appetite for WWE and MMA-associated titles nowadays. In a recent survey of game genre fondness, 38% of gamers voted for fighting games, of which wrestling titles make up a significant portion. WWE 2K22 is one of the newest options on the block, showcasing a vast improvement on previous Visual Concepts wrestling instalments.
There was tremendous hype before WWE 2K22’s release on March 11th, 2022, with Visual Concepts and publisher 2K Sports going big on the pre-release promo and marketing campaign. Gamers enjoy many new features on the first official WWE title since WWE 2K20. The last one was slightly underwhelming, but signs indicate WWE 2K22 more than makes good on the previous errors. But does it live up to the hype? Let’s have a look.
WWE 2K22: An Overview
It’s safe to say WWE 2K20 was a bit of a disaster for Visual Concepts, so taking a year out was a smart move. It’s allowed the developer to take a step back and refine the gameplay, something we noticed almost instantly after playing WWE 2K22. The gameplay is more direct, quick, and straightforward, with fewer unnecessarily complicated game controls than in the previous installment.
Rey Mysterio is the cover star this time around, formally unveiled upon the game’s release for PS4, PS5, Windows, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S on March 11th, 2022. Visual Concepts has already promised a WWE 2K23, slated for release in the fall of 2022. Hopefully, 2K22 lays solid foundations for a successful wrestling game series. It certainly is based on what we’ve heard regarding WWE 2K22 so far.
New WWE 2K22 Features
2K Sports publicly announced WWE 2K22 on January 10th, 2022, announcing a whole new set of new features. Visual Concepts completely redesigned the gameplay engine, and in tandem with the vast graphics improvement, it’s made WWE 2K22 by far the best wrestling game we’ve played. Here are the most compelling new features:
- MyGM: 2K and Visual Concepts have included a brand-new feature in WWE 2K22 called MyGM. It allows players to try their hand at WWE management, taking control of Raw, Smackdown, NXT, and NXT UK. Draft the ultimate roster of WWE Superstars and compete against rival managers to produce the most significant WWE brand around.
- MyFaction: MyFaction is another brand-new WWE 2K22 feature. It’s similar to things like Ultimate Team in the FIFA games, only this time you create a four-person-strong faction of fighters. MyFaction revolves around collecting the cards of each fighter and then using your faction to battle against AI opponents. There is currently no online connectivity, but it’s something we’d like to see in the future.
- MyRise: MyRise is back in WWE 2K22, but it’s bigger and better than ever before. You can play across NXT, Raw, and Smackdown, climbing the echelons of professional wrestling with new storylines and rivalries to explore. With an upgraded Creation Suite, gamers can customize their characters like never before.
The Best Wrestling Games of all Time
Gamers and wrestling fans have enjoyed countless wrestling games over the last several decades, but not all of them are up-to-scratch. These games can be difficult for developers to get right, especially with the intricacies required for player movement. Nevertheless, a few wrestling games have stood out from the rest.
Check out some of the games below to see what we mean:
- WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
- WWE 2K14
- WWF No Mercy
- WWE All Stars
- Saturday Night Slam Masters
Other Ways to Enjoy Wrestling
There are other types of wrestling games out there if you don’t own a video game console. WWE 2K22 is very much the market leader, but mobile wrestling games like Wrestling Revolution 3D or WWE Mayhem are also incredibly enjoyable. And remember, if you don’t enjoy playing wrestling video games, why not watch the real thing? PPV and regular WWE shows are popular worldwide.
For an added sprinkle of excitement, punters are increasingly placing bets on matches. For example, you can use things like prop bets to predict the exact number of takedowns or straight money lines to bet on the victor. If you’re in a location where gambling is prohibited, such as Saudi Arabia and other locations, you can use VPNs to access online sites to place bets. Do some research to find the best Saudi sports betting offers before you start. You must also ensure the site you use is safe and secure. The best betting sites guarantee your safety while offering several betting markets and generous bonus promotions. For example, punters can access things like a $100 deposit bonus with a $30 free bet. These platforms also offer live in-play betting alongside practical mobile apps. A comprehensive FAQ section can answer any other questions you might have. Alternatively, if you don’t enjoy betting, why not try wrestling for yourself? Going to the gym and working on your core strength is a great place to start. Afterward, you’ll be perfectly positioned to start learning at local wrestling classes.