-

Background story on how Lesnar was able to return to UFC

The story of Brock Lesnar returning to UFC for a fight at UFC 200 has obviously generated a lot of buzz and major sports and news websites have all picked it up including ESPN, FOX Sports, CNN, Sky Sports, and many many others.

One interesting report from ESPN during a segment between Jonathan Coachman and Chael Sonnen suggested that despite Brock Lesnar being under a WWE deal, the UFC were within their right to recall him due to a prior deal way back when Lesnar retired.

According to Sonnen, when Lesnar retired due to his diverticulitis, he still had some dates left but Dana White and the UFC granted his release anyway to resume his WWE career on the condition that when they need him he would be there assuming he’s healthy. “Vince McMahon’s phone never had to ring for this,” Sonnen said.

No other source has so far corroborated Chael Sonnen’s theory although it’s safe to assume that Lesnar is going to UFC 200 with the complete blessing of Vince McMahon. White and McMahon share an interesting relationship and although they don’t see eye to eye sometimes Dana has always said he greatly respects Vince for what he’s done and achieved.

While it’s great news for both MMA and WWE fans that Lesnar is going back to the UFC for one night only, it wasn’t great news for respected MMA reported Ariel Helwani. Helwani originally broke the news of Lesnar returning before the UFC announced it while he was in the arena covering UFC 199. After UFC officials noted that the news was leaked, Helwani and his staff at MMAFighting.com were escorted out of the building.

“I love this sport & this job with all my heart. Did nothing unethical. I reported fight news. That’s it. & then told we’re banned for life,” Helwani wrote on Twitter afterward. “Here’s hoping cooler heads prevail. I sincerely love every fighter & fan of this sport. You have helped me realize a dream. Thank you.”


Discover more from Wrestling-Online.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Colin Vassallo
Colin Vassallohttps://www.wrestling-online.com
Colin Vassallo has been editor of Wrestling-Online since 1996. He is born and raised in Malta, follows professional wrestling and MMA, loves to travel, and is a big Apple fan!

Stories you might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you

LATEST NEWS

Bianca Belair and Montez Ford throw baby shower

Bianca Belair and Montez Ford threw a baby shower with the theme "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star & Over the...

Rico Constantino talks Billy and Chuck, American Gladiators, getting fired from WWE, and more

Rico Constantino sat down with Chris Van Vliet in Arizona to discuss the many jobs he's had on top...

Card now complete for this weekend’s Saturday Night’s Main Event in Fort Wayne

Two more matches were announced last night on Raw for this weekend's Saturday Night's Main Event. Former NXT Women's North...

Discover more from Wrestling-Online.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading