Rhythmic gymnastics is not just a sport but a type of art. This kind of gymnastics is a perfect blend of strength, agility, performance, expressiveness, and beauty. Music is an integral part of any rhythmic gymnastics routine, and there are strict rules as to which music tracks are suitable for each performance. If you want to learn more in-depth about everything that goes into creating a perfect routine and discover special gyms for rhythmic gymnastics in the USA, try visiting Jenerg for more information. Finding a gym for classes is only the first step towards becoming an amazing gymnast, but so much more is required to achieve this goal. Discover the music and rhythm that will help you on this journey.
Rhythmic Gymnastics Music History
In previous years, all rhythmic gymnastics performances were accompanied by piano. Both live and pre recorded music was used during routines. A classic genre of music was normally used. Luckily, there are no such restrictions today. All kinds of music tracks can be heard during modern rhythmic gymnastics performances. This is important as the choice of music helps with portraying the exact emotions and feelings of a gymnast together with the moves. If you want to have a custom music track that will fit your routing flawlessly, you can order one here https://jenerg.com/gymnastics-floor-music/.
Because all music was pretty similar in the previous competitions, viewers could actually guess the track after seeing a gymnast. This was possible because a special leotard used for competing was created after the melody was chosen to work with it. The choice of music is important not only for creating an immersive experience with your whole performance. Based on the rhythm of the track, you can choose the gymnastic dance elements you will demonstrate. The movements incorporated in the performance are tied to the outfit of the gymnast directly. For example, having a skirt on the leotard will not be convenient for certain elements, and the goal is to create the most comfortable outfit for excellent performance.
Choosing a Perfect Music Track for Rhythm Gymnastics Performance
There are various details that are obligatory to take into account when selecting a music track for a competitive rhythmic gymnastics performance. The music choice depends on the competitive level of the gymnast, individual or group setting, as well as the whole aesthetic of the routine. All of this should be considered carefully as any miscalculation might cost precious points when rating the gymnast’s performance. Even half a point could be crucial, which is why professional rhythmic gymnastics music services are commonly used for creating a unique and fitting track.
The first thing you need to consider is the length of your music track. A proper length can be selected via the official rules depending on the organization you are competing under. Whether it is FIG (Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique) or USAG (USA Gymnastics), there are different time requirements for the routines.
Music lengths for individual routines under USAG:
- Level 3 – 1 minute and 15 seconds max
- Levels 4-6 – from 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds max
- Levels 7-10 from 1 minute and 15 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds max
Music lengths for group routines under USAG:
- Beginner – from 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes
- Intermediate – from 1 minute to 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- Advanced from 2 minutes to 2 minutes and 30 seconds
Music lengths for official rhythmic gymnastics routines under FIG:
- Individual performances – from 1 minute and 15 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds
- Group performances – from 3 minutes and 15 seconds to 3 minutes and 30 seconds
Some gymnastic routines under FIG can incorporate music with lyrics. However, there are specific rules towards using such tracks, which should be studied carefully not to get penalized. It is better that you discuss all the requirements with your coach and professional gymnastics music services to choose the most effective and reliable track.
Types of Music Tracks Suitable for Rhythmic Gymnastics Routines
Both organizations allow music tracks with either one or more musical instruments. Singer’s voice is also allowed in case no words are used. There is a specific rhythmic gymnastics music style, and the melody used in the routine has to comply with it. Certain sounds are not allowed in the music tracks, and you can find the full list of prohibited sounds in the rules. All the songs composed into one routine should be dynamically similar.
Incorporating Music with Lyrics in Your Performance
- FIG – only two individual gymnastic exercises and one group event can have music with lyrics. Your federation is obliged to state the exact exercises that will use music tracks with lyrics.
- USAG – none of the routine music tracks is allowed to include any singing or lyrics. You can send a request to use music with words to administration representatives. In case your request is approved, you or your coach have to provide the letter of approval to the competition committee.
It is essential to select an appropriate music track as not complying with the rules will result in losing points from your score. Some of the most common penalties related to music choices include:
- Selecting a non-typical music style for a routine
- Providing a non-functional CD or MP3 file of the performance music
- Providing a poor-quality CD or MP3 file of the performance music
- Having a music track not long enough or too long for the required time. Each second that is lacking or goes over the necessary time will be penalized
- For those competing under USAG, any music track with lyrics or the absence of a music track will result in one point penalty
- Having a musical introduction portion to last more than four seconds without the athlete moving
In case a different music track starts playing as a mistake, the gymnast will have to interrupt the performance and leave the competition floor. One will be able to start over with the required music afterward.
As you can see, picking suitable music for a rhythmic gymnastics performance is not an easy task. Many things have to be taken into account to both follow the rules and suit the performer. A carefully picked music track will complement the strengths of the athlete and allow delivering an unforgettable performance. You can order a custom cut from Jenerg to be sure that your track will work perfectly. A music track based on your specifications will be sent to you online after three business days from the moment of placing the order.