Hey everybody! It’s @TheMagnumDA with another installment of the Raw report! We are only two weeks away from “Money in the Bank” LIVE from the Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL. All of the MITB spots are filled, so let’s get right to the action.
ON WITH THE SHOW.
Opening Promo: Elias is in the ring about to perform. Seth Rollins interrupts and they have an old-fashioned weapon standoff. Elias holds his guitar, while Rollins grabs a nearby steel chair. This is kind of ridiculous. Rollins smacks the guitar out of Elias’ hands, but Jinder Mahal comes in from out of nowhere! He attacks Rollins, and the double team is on! Roman Reigns makes the save, and Kurt Angle comes out to announce an impromptu tag match. Reigns and Rollins vs. Mahal and Elias.
1. Elias & Jinder Mahal (w/Sunil Singh) defeated Intercontinental champion Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns (**) Man, this went long. As in “Gone With The Wind” long.
2. James Harden defeated Curt Hawkins via DQ. (No Stars) — WE WANT TACOS!
3. Non-title match: Raw Women’s Champion Nia Jax defeated Natalya (*3/4)
After the match, Natalya sold her injured leg while Jax & Rousey had a staredown in the ring. Natalya’s appearance at MITB is in question. Come on, we all know what’s going to happen: Natalya wins MITB, and cashes in on Ronda after she beats Nia Jax.
4. Braun Strowman defeated Bobby Roode. (*) Bobby Roode has lost so many times in the last month…that I’m almost convinced he’s going to win MITB!
5. The B-Team won a Tag Team Battle Royal to become number one contenders. (*1/2) Lasted almost 10 minutes. A bit long for this crew.
6. Six-Woman Tag Match: Alexa Bliss, Sasha Banks & Ember Moon defeated the Riott Squad when Bayley hit the belly-to-belly on Sarah Logan. Yes, you read that right. (*)
Big Show Promo: Show puts over the Special Olympics athletes from Texas who will be playing in the USA Games. I’m always a fan of this stuff.
7. Finn Balor defeated Kevin Owens via DQ. (***) Match ended when KO refused to answer the referee’s five-count during a beatdown in the corner. This happened just before the match hit the 20-minute mark. Show ends with Balor hitting the Coup de Grace from the top of the ladder onto Kevin Owens.
Finn Delivers Again: One positive that I took away from Raw…I’m noticing that the last three Balor matches have been quality. He’s quickly becoming a force on Monday Night Raw, in a way similar to Seth Rollins. He could be a dark horse in that MITB match!
Showcase for Special Olympics: WWE’s business relationship with the Special Olympics has been outstanding, and last night’s promo (with the Big Show) was great. For all of the questionable things WWE has done (partnership with the Saudi King), this is one thing that WWE does right. Good on them.
Nonsensical Tag Match Ending: Any time you book a finish where someone *not* in the match gets the winning pin, you get an immediate thumbs-down from me. That’s the kind of stuff WCW used to do before they died in 2001. Stupid, in any context.
Long Matches with DQ Endings: Why does WWE feel compelled to have a twenty-minute main event that ends in a DQ? Don’t get me wrong, there was a payoff at the end with the Coup de Grace ladder spot, but still. Twenty minutes for a DQ? Ugh.
James Harden – WE WANT TACOS! Seriously, this was such a lame segment.
Alright fans, that’s going to do it for me! I’ll see you tomorrow with the Smackdown Live TV report! @TheMagnumDA signing off.